Latest posts by Ab Stanley (see all)
- NFL Power Rankings Week Six- Driving Through The Air - October 11, 2018
- NFL Power Rankings Week Five- A Trend To Defend - October 4, 2018
- NFL Power Rankings Week Four- A Looming Struggle - September 27, 2018
The NFL has come flying out of the gates this year with crazy passing number while the ground games are suffering (to say the least). Teams have combined for 275 passing touchdowns while only racking up 122 touchdowns on the ground. With all these one-sided offenses, it sets a trend for lopsided defenses as well. In any event, the abandonment of one aspect of their game hasn’t stopped teams from putting up a crazy amount of points.
1. Los Angeles Rams 5-0 (Last week #1)
Jared Goff leads the NFL with 1,727 passing yards. He has 12 touchdowns and only four interceptions, not to mention the ultimate weapon in Todd Gurley.
2. Kansas City Chiefs 5-0 (Last week #2)
Even without a touchdown pass and his first interceptions, Pat Mahomes still led the Chiefs to 30 points and the victory.
3. New Orleans Saints 4-1 (Last week #4)
Drew Brees is carving out his hall of fame career by carving up defenses this year. The Saints are number one in scoring averaging 36.0 points per game.
4. Cincinnati Bengals 4-1 (Last week #6)
The Bengals just find a way to score. Whether its on offense, defense, through the air, or on the ground these guys can score. They have a 70.6% score rate when they reach the red zone.
5. Chicago Bears 3-1 (Last week #7)
The Bears have the number two ranked defenses and every team should beware of them going forward.
6. Jacksonville Jaguars 3-2 (Last week #3)
The Jacksonville offense is severely hindering their team. They accumulate a ton of yards but they don’t score nearly enough.
7. Carolina Panthers 3-1 (Last week #8)
The Panthers are on a two game winning streak scoring over 30 points per game. They’ve allowed a hundred yards rushing in only one game this season.
8. New England Patriots 3-2 (Last week 14)
The Patriots have won two straight games scoring 38 points in both. Their schedule gets a bit tough coming up. Let’s see how they handle the upgrade in opponents.
9. Baltimore Ravens 3-2 (Last week #5)
The Ravens have allowed only 77 points in five games. Only one of their opponents has scored over 20 points this season.
10. Los Angeles Chargers 3-2 (Last week #17)
The Chargers have a victory in every game they held their opponents under 30 points. Their defense has forced two turnovers in each of their last four games.
11. Miami Dolphins 3-2 (Last week #9)
After starting off hot, Adam Gase and Ryan Tannehill have reverted back to a mediocre coach/quarterback combination.
12. Tennessee Titans 3-2 (Last week #10)
The Titans have scored 87 points and given up 86 on the year. They somehow have three wins.
13. Pittsburgh Steelers 2-2-1 (Last week #20)
The Steelers avoided a loss that could’ve dismantled their whole team from within. Their defense still hasn’t been a big help and even after a good game they still struggle overall in rushing.
14. Minnesota Vikings 2-2-1 (Last week #21)
The Vikings win games with Kirk Cousins and their wide receiver corps. They are still waiting for that running game to show up this year.
15. Cleveland Browns 2-2-1 (Last week #22)
The Browns lead the NFL with 15 forced turnovers. They are 2-1 in games quarterback Baker Mayfield has played in.
16. Washington Redskins 2-2 (Last week #12)
The Redskins only have nine offensive touchdowns on the season, while giving up twelve touchdowns on defense.
17. Philadelphia Eagles 2-3 (Last week #11)
The Eagles’ defense is second versus the run and 22nd versus the pass. Carson Wentz has thrown five touchdowns and only one interception but he’s been sacked 12 times in three starts.
18. Green Bay Packers 2-2-1 (Last week #13)
The Packers are fourth in total yards allowed, they’ve only given up 400 yards of offense in one game this year.
19. Denver Broncos 2-3 (Last week #15)
Case Keenum has five touchdowns and seven interceptions for the Broncos’ 18th ranked passing attack.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2-2 (Last week #16)
The Buccaneers will have plenty to figure out after their bye week is over. One of the main things will be their running game.
21. Seattle Seahawks 2-3 (Last week #19)
The Seahawks have rushed for over 100 yards in three straight games but have failed to cross 200 hundred yards passing once in the same span.
22. Houston Texans 2-3 (Last week #25)
The Texans are on a two game winning streak, outscoring their opponents by a total of six points. Deshaun Watson averages 324.2 passing yards per game.
23. Dallas Cowboys 2-3 (Last week #18)
The Cowboys are very unbalanced on offense, ranked 30th in passing yards while Ezekiel Elliot leads the league in rushing with 480 yards. The defense has forced 15 sacks while the offensive line has yielded 16 sacks on Dak Prescott.
24. New York Jets 2-3 (Last week #26)
The Jets are eighth in points allowed and they haven’t lost a game where they have scored at least 30 points.
25. Detroit Lions 2-3 (Last week #30)
Detroit seems to play great when the opposing team has a top tier quarterback on their roster. They have racked up 17 sacks on defense.
26. Buffalo Bills 2-3 (Last week #31)
The Bills’ offense has scored only 63 points in five games this season. Rookie quarterback Josh Allen has been sacked 19 times in four starts.
27. Atlanta Falcons 1-4 (Last week #23)
The Falcons give up so many points their offense simply cannot keep up. They allow 32.6 points per game while averaging 26.6 on offense.
28. Indianapolis Colts 1-4 (Last week #24)
The Colts’ next three opponents have a combined five wins so if they’re gonna turn their season around, now is the time.
29. Arizona Cardinals 1-4 (Last week #32)
Arizona won their first game of the season but they’ve not yet rushed for a hundred yards as a team all season.
30. San Francisco 49ers 1-4 (Last week #27)
The 49ers have forced three turnovers on the season and have given the ball away 11 times. Its a very hard statistic to overcome for victories.
31. Oakland Raiders 1-4 (Last week #28)
The Raiders are ranked 30th in both points allowed and yards given up. They’ve scored ten offensive touchdowns but have nine turnovers on the season.
32. New York Giants 1-4 (last week #29)
The bad news is the Giants have one win. The good news is nobody in their division has more than two wins.