- 2022 NFL Mock Draft – Make It Count - April 21, 2022
- 2022 College Football Playoff Championship Preview: #1 Alabama Crimson Tide Vs. #3 Georgia Bulldogs - January 10, 2022
- 2021 College Football Preview – Michigan Wolverines Vs. Georgia Bulldogs - December 31, 2021
It’s that time of year again. College football is back as Alabama looks to defend it’s crown as top dog but plenty of teams are looking to knock them off that pedestal. There are no shortage of stories or quarterbacks controversies at top programs. After the opening week, let’s take a look at the my Top Ten.
1) Alabama Crimson Tide (1-0) defeated Louisville Cardinals 51-14
Head Coach Nick Saban chose Tua Tagovailoa to start and he rewarded him with an outstanding effort. The offense just looks different and is more lethal. The quarterback question is over and no don’t forget that the defense will get better as the season goes on.
Next game- Arkansas State Red Wolves
2) Clemson Tigers (1-0) defeated Furman Paladins 48-7
The Tigers made easy work of an inferior opponent but in the process, a possible quarterback controversy could be brewing. Freshman phenom Trevor Lawrence outperformed Kelly Bryant, stay tuned. The defense took care of business but was never really challenged.
Next game- at Texas A&M Aggies
3) Georgia Bulldogs (1-0) defeated Austin Peay Governors 45-0
The Bulldogs had a nice tune-up game by easily beating Austin Peay. Quarterback Jake Fromm looked good but so did freshman sensation Justin Fields. Could another quarterback controversy be brewing? The defense essentially had a day off as they handled an inept Governors’ offense.
Next game-at South Carolina Gamecocks
4) Wisconsin Badgers (1-0) defeated Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 34-3
The Badgers cruised to an easy victory against the Hilltoppers. Quarterback Alex Hornibrook got off to a good start but the offense goes as running back Jonathan Taylor goes. He was very productive on limited attempts. The defense was it’s usual stout self against an average offense.
Next game-Brigham Young Cougars
5) Ohio State Buckeyes (1-0) defeated Oregon State Beavers 77-31
The Buckeyes won behind quarterback Dwayne Haskins five touchdown passes. He had plenty of help from running back Mike Weber. They made it look easy. I’d be a little concerned about the defense giving up 31 points to an average Beaver offense. They have time to get it right though.
Next game-Rutgers Scarlet Knights
6) Oklahoma Sooners (1-0) defeated Florida Atlantic Owls 63-14
The post Baker Mayfield era got off with a bang. Quarterback Kyler Murray looked really good in his Sooner debut although he only played the first half. Running back Rodney Anderson scored twice on five attempts. All the questions about the defense were answered after smothering a potent Lane Kiffin offense in dominating fashion.
Next game-UCLA Bruins
7) Auburn Tigers (1-0) defeated Washington Huskies 21-16
The Tigers won a tough, hard fought game against PAC 12’s power house, Huskies. It wasn’t pretty. Quarterback Jarrett Stidham threw 273 yards but the offense could not make it count in the red zone. Three field goals won’t get it done vs. legitimate opponents. The defense was outstanding while bending but not breaking.
Next game- Alabama State Hornets
8) Notre Dame Fighting Irish (1-0) defeated Michigan Wolverines 24-17
The Fighting Irish passed an early season test against the Wolverines. The offense was decent as quarterback Brandon Wimbush made plays with his arm and legs when needed. The running game was subpar to say the least. The defense showed up and made the plays necessary to secure the win.
Next game-Ball State Cardinals
9) Penn State Nittany Lions (1-0) defeated Appalachian State Mountaineers 45-38 OT
The Nittany Lions eeked by the Mountaineers in over time. This was a tale of two units. The offense looked good putting up points behind five rushing touchdowns. The defense was terrible and needs to regroup quickly. Big Ten opponents won’t be so forgiving.
Next game-at Pittsburgh Panthers
10) Michigan State Spartans (1-0) defeated Utah State Aggies 38-31
The Spartans survived a scare against a scrappy Aggies squad. The offense put up yards and points behind quarterback Brian Leweerke but the defense gave up way too many yards and points. This was very uncharacteristic of a Spartan’s defense. They won’t be so lucky against Big Ten foes.
Next game-at Arizona State Sun Devils