Latest posts by ATLUTD (see all)
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Montreal Impact - July 27, 2018
- Almirón’s Brace Leads Atlanta United To 4-0 Win Over Orlando City - July 1, 2018
- Atlanta Draws NYCFC 1-1, Stays On Top Of Eastern Conference - June 9, 2018
BRONX, N.Y. (June 9, 2018) — Atlanta United drew NYCFC 1-1 on Saturday afternoon to become the first road team to take points from Yankee Stadium in 2018. Josef Martinez scored his league-leading 13th goal of the season while goalkeeper Brad Guzan made a club-record nine saves to help keep Atlanta on top of the Eastern Conference, two points ahead of NYCFC.
Although the match was scoreless through the first half, Atlanta wasted little time after the intermission to break the tie. In the 48th minute, Julian Gressel corralled a pass from Darlington Nagbe near midfield, and after a couple of dribbles, sent an early cross into the box just over the head of Sebastien Ibeagha that Martinez powerfully headed into the right corner. It was Gressel’s fifth assist of the season.
Guzan made a series of crucial saves over the next half hour, but NYCFC found a breakthrough in the 77th minute from Alexander Callens. Off of a Jesus Medina corner kick, David Villa headed the initial ball toward the far post where Callens found space to make a diving attempt at the ball, ultimately leaving Guzan little chance to make a save.
Atlanta United (9-3-3, 30 points) returns to MLS action against Columbus Crew SC at MAPFRE Stadium on Wednesday, June 13 (7:30 p.m., FOX Sports South).
Atlanta United 1, NYCFC 1
The Bronx, New York
Shots: 25-6 NYCFC
Shots on Target: 10-2 NYCFC
Corner kicks: 13-1 NYCFC
Fouls committed: 15-10 NYCFC
Saves: 9-1 Atlanta
Clearances: 24-8 Atlanta
Offside: 7-2 NYCFC
Possession: 61-39 NYCFC
Passing Accuracy: 82-67 NYCFC
ATL – Josef Martinez (Julian Gressel) 48’ [HIGHLIGHT]
NYC – Alexander Callens (David Villa, Jesus Medina) 77’ [HIGHLIGHT]
NYC – Ben Sweat (yellow) 35’
NYC – Jo Inge Berget (yellow) 58’
ATL – Leandro Gonzalez Pirez (yellow) 64’
ATL – Romario Williams (yellow) 73’
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Michael Parkhurst ©, Franco Escobar (Sal Zizzo – 85’); Mikey Ambrose, Jeff Larentowicz, Darlington Nagbe, Julian Gressel; Josef Martinez, Miguel Almirón (Romario Williams – 46’), Ezequiel Barco (Kevin Kratz – 66’).
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Miles Robinson, Andrew Carleton, Brandon Vazquez,
NYCFC STARTING LINEUP
Sean Johnson; Alexander Callens, Alexander Ring, Sebastien Ibeagha; Ben Sweat (Jonathan Lewis – 72’), Ebenezer Ofori (Jesus Medina – 58’), Maximiliano Moralez, Anton Tinnerholm; David Villa, Jo Inge Berget, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi.
Substitutes not used: Brad Stuver, Saad Adbul-Salaam, Maxime Chanot, Kwame Awauh, Thomas McNamara.
Robert Sibiga (referee), Eric Weisbrod (assistant), CJ Morgante (assistant), Silviu Petrescu (fourth), Edvin Jurisevic (VAR).
- Jeff Larentowicz started his 353rd career MLS game. He’s in fifth place in MLS history by a field player.
- Larentowicz also appeared in his 372nd career game. He’s also in fifth place in MLS history by a field player.
- Romario Williams subbed on for Miguel Almirón at halftime. The 45 minutes played were a career high in an MLS game for Williams.
- Brad Guzan made nine saves, a club record. The previous high was seven by Alec Kann (April 8, 2017) against Toronto FC and BMO Field.
- The nine saves were tied for the third most in MLS this season. Evan Bush made 14 against LAFC.
- Michael Parkhurst had 10 clearances, fourth highest in a single-game this year. Parkhurst has the season record (17 against Minnesota).